Tuesday, January 15, 2008

macworld review...

I know that some people are a little disappointed with the MacWorld Expo
2008 keynote but I was actually pleased. Most of my disappointment (and
probably others also) stems from the fact that the products that were
unveiled are not core items (iPods, traditional laptops, desktops, etc).
But they really came out with some innovative products that continue to
impress...

Scores on a scale of 1-10:

Time Capsule- 10
I really thought that this was an awesome innovation. It is a wireless
base station and a 500MB or 1TB hard drive that syncs itself...for
$300-$500?!?!?!?...they must not be making much money on those because
you can't buy anything else even close to that for the same amount of
money...

Movie Rentals- 7.5
I think that this was long overdue...I know that most people probably
won't agree, but I'm really excited to watch movies straight off of
iTunes...I would much rather do that and have a month to watch the movie
than go to Blockbuster and have three days, plus the price is
equivalent...the next product solves the "watch on your computer"
problem...

Apple TV- 9
I really thought this was a great update of an existing product...Apple
realized that the original AppleTV was not working and they took steps
to fix it. You don't even need to own an Apple computer...you just order
your movies or TV shows straight from your TV and watch them in all of
their HD glory...

MacBook Air- 8.5
MacBook Air (the name)- 2
First things first...the name is terrible...now, on we go...
When you think about it, this laptop will blow your mind...it's thickest
point is thinner than the thinnest point of any other laptop...with a
multi-touch pad...and an 80GB hard drive. It truly is an amazing piece
of technology...having said that, I hope that Apple didn't over-estimate
how many people need/want an "ultra-portable" laptop when a traditional
laptop will do just fine...

My initial impression of the keynote was: "That's it?" but after
thinking about it...this is a solid offering of updates with a really
impressive centerpiece (MacBook Air)...not every MacWorld Expo will
produce an iPhone or an iPod...

Final Grade:
Technology, Innovation, Impressivityness = A-
Marketplace Awareness, Will People Buy It? = C+

3 comments:

carsonbelmont said...

I agree for the most part on everything that you wrote, and your final grade I would say is accurate.

Anonymous said...

--
well written. i agree with these sentimonies.

someone else made a good point...there was no traditional "one more thing" from jobs this year...

Anonymous said...

--
my little white present is supposed to be here today...